Saturday, April 14, 2007

Musical Musings

Ever since I was a kid, I've always been a big fan of musicals and I really enjoy them whether they were on TV or in the theater. I will always remember the day I watched the Phantom Of The Opera in the Kallang Theater (the Esplanade aka Big Durian wasn't built then) and I was fascinated with the theatrics and effects that made musicals so wonderful. Of course, I have to mention it was still under the directorship of Sir Andrew Loyd Webber back then and nothing beats it like the original stuff. Pestered my parents to buy the book for me and I still have with me after more than 10 years since I've watched it.

Anyway, I've just completed downloading scrubs season 6 and there is one episode that I've never failed to watch it over and over again. It is episode six and it is special cuz the whole episode was a musical itself. Just watching it gave me the thrill, the happiness that I've never experienced for a long time in any movie or tv series. I was also sad because deep inside me that is just what I wanted to do...to write my own musical. I'm very lucky cuz my good friend Varian has given me the chance to monkey around with his projects by writing and re-arranging songs for his work and if possible I will never turn it down even if it means making the trip back to JB and Singapore from KL. I just feel a sense of loss every time each of his project is completed and I will always wish it will never end. Although it is hard work (we end up working like mad without any sleep and sad to say, we smoke like crazy too), there is nothing better than to see your work and arrangements being used for another musical, tv series and etc..

I suppose once I've earned enough moolah for all the equipment I need for my own recording, I'll outsource projects and also do my own compositions at that time. In the mean time, I'll just concentrate on my FYP and other misc stuff for the moment and hope that He will give me a chance to prove myself someday.




No comments: